arjunena durgāstotram (Arjuna's Stothram on Divine Mother Durga)

 

arjunena durgāstotram


 Contents

Prequel 1

Devi Stuthi. 1

Epilogue. 5

 

Prequel

As the sun rose over the vast battlefield of Kurukshetra, its golden rays illuminated the great armies standing face to face, poised for battle. The earth trembled under the weight of thousands of chariots, elephants, and warriors, each awaiting the command to charge. The Pandava forces, arranged in a mighty counter-formation against Bhīṣma’s divisions, stood resolute.

In the center, Śikhaṇḍin’s troops were guarded by Arjuna, his chariot gleaming like a hundred suns, driven by Keśava himself. Dṛṣṭadyumna led the vanguard, shielded by the mighty Bhīma, while Sātyaki, fierce as Indra, protected the southern flank. Yudhiṣṭhira, seated upon a magnificent chariot adorned with gold and gems, radiated the majesty of a celestial king. Around him, Ṛṣis and learned Brahmins walked in reverence, chanting hymns, offering sacred blessings, and performing rituals for victory.

Surveying the Kaurava ranks, Kṛṣṇa turned to Arjuna and spoke in a voice that carried over the din of the battlefield. “Behold, Pārtha, there stands Bhīṣma, that banner of the Kuru race, surrounded by warriors as the sun is by the clouds. Like a lion among deer, he shall charge upon our ranks with unmatched fury. But before we face him in battle, you must invoke the grace of Durgā Devī, the mother of victory. With her blessings, no enemy shall stand before you.”

Hearing these divine words, Arjuna, with unwavering devotion, descended from his chariot. Folding his hands, he stood upon the sacred battlefield and began his hymn to Durgā Devī, the invincible goddess, seeking her blessings before the great war commenced.

Durga Stotram by Sri Arjuna, with Sri Krishna’s inspiration (before Gita Sloka)

Mahabharata - Bhishma Parva - Chapter 23 (Southern Recension)

Devi Stuthi.

sanjaya uvāca

dhārtarāṣṭrabalaṃ dṛṣṭvā yuddhāya samupasthitam.

arjunasya hitārthāya kṛṣṇo vacanamabravīt .. 1

Sanjaya said that as the Dhārtarāṣṭra army approached for battle, Kṛṣṇa spoke to Arjuna for his benefit.

"Śrī Bhagavān uvāca"

śucirbhūtvā mahābāho saṃgrāmābhimukhe sthitaḥ.

parājayāya śtruṇāṃ durgāstotramudīraya .. 2

The holy one, Kṛṣṇa, said, “O mighty-armed one, purify yourself and invoke Goddess Durgā with a hymn before the battle to ensure the defeat of your enemies.”

sañjaya uvāca

evamukto'rjunaḥ saṅkhye vāsudevena dhīmatā.

avatīrya rathātpārthaḥ stotramāha kṛtāñjaliḥ .. 3

 Sanjaya continued, explaining that, upon hearing these words from the wise Vāsudeva, Arjuna, the son of Pṛthā, descended from his chariot and, with folded hands, recited the hymn.

arjuna uvāca
namaste siddhasenāni ārye mandaravāsini
kumāri kāli kāpāli kapile kṛṣṇapiṅgale ..4

Arjuna said:
"I bow to thee, O leader of Yogins (Siddhasenāni), commander of the celestial hosts and master of spiritual attainments. O noble one (Ārye), possessed of divine qualities, I bow to thee. O thou who dwellest in the forest of Mandara (Mandaravāsini), the sacred mountain associated with divine activities, I bow to thee. O eternal virgin (Kumāri), who retains her purity and strength from age to age, I bow to thee. O Kāli, the dark-hued one, the fierce and terrible aspect of the Divine Mother, I bow to thee. O thou that bearest a skull (Kāpāli), symbolizing the destruction of ego, I bow to thee. O Kapilā, the tawny-hued goddess of supreme wisdom, I bow to thee. O thou that art of dark and tawny hue (Kṛṣṇapiṅgale), representing the dual aspects of destruction and nurturing, I bow to thee!"

bhadrakāli namastubhyaṃ mahākāli namo'stu te
caṇḍi caṇḍe namastubhyaṃ tāriṇi varavarṇini ..5

"O Bhadrakālī, the auspicious and protective form of the Mother, my obeisance to thee! O Mahākālī, the great and terrible force of dissolution, I bow to thee! O fierce one (Caṇḍī), slayer of the Asuras, I bow to thee! O wrathful one (Caṇḍe), who smites the wicked, I bow to thee! O deliverer of thy devotees (Tāriṇi), who ferries them across the ocean of life, I bow to thee! O thou that art possessed of every auspicious complexion (Varavarṇini), I bow to thee!"

kātyāyani mahābhāge karāli vijaye jaye
śikhipicchadhvajadhare nānābharaṇabhūṣite ..6

"O Kātyāyanī, daughter of Sage Kātyāyana and a fierce warrior against evil, I bow to thee! O greatly fortunate one (Mahābhāge), who art the bestower of divine grace, I bow to thee! O dreadful one (Karāli), whose very sight strikes terror into the wicked, I bow to thee! O goddess of victory (Vijaye), ever triumphant over demonic forces, I bow to thee! O embodiment of victory itself (Jaye), I bow to thee! O thou that bearest a banner adorned with peacock plumes (Śikhipicchadhvajadhare), symbolizing wisdom and valor, I bow to thee! O thou that art decked with many ornaments (Nānābharaṇabhūṣite), radiant with divine splendor, I bow to thee!"

aṭṭaśūlapraharaṇe svaṅgakheṭakadhāriṇi
gopendrasyānuje jyeṣṭhe nandagopakulodbhave ..7

"O wielder of the dreadful trident (Aṭṭaśūlapraharaṇe), the weapon that annihilates evil, I bow to thee! O thou that holdest sword and shield (Svaṅgakheṭakadhāriṇi), the protectress of righteousness, I bow to thee! O younger sister of the chief of cowherds (Gopendrasyānuje), companion of Śrī Kṛṣṇa in his divine play, I bow to thee! O eldest one (Jyeṣṭhe), supreme among all goddesses, I bow to thee! O thou born in the cowherd Nanda's family (Nandagopakulaudbhave), I bow to thee!"

mahiṣāsṛkpriye nityaṃ kauśiki pītavāsini
aṭṭahāse kokamukhe namaste'stu raṇapriye ..8

"O thou who art always fond of the blood of the Asura Mahiṣa (Mahiṣāsṛkpriye), the slayer of the Mahisha I bow to thee! O Kauśikī, the luminous one, born from the body of Pārvatī, I bow to thee! O thou that art clad in yellow robes (Pītavāsini), shining like the rising sun, I bow to thee! O thou who laughed terribly (Aṭṭahāse) while slaying the Asuras, I bow to thee! O thou that assumed the form of a wolf (Kokamukhe) to devour the demons, I bow to thee! O thou who art always delighted by battle (Raṇapriye), I bow to thee!"

ubhe śākambhari śvete kṛṣṇe kaiṭabhanāśini
hiraṇyāści virūpākṣi sudhūmrākṣi namo'stu te ..9

"O Śākambharī, the nourisher of all beings, I bow to thee! O thou that art both fair (Śvete) and dark (Kṛṣṇe), signifying the dual aspects of benevolence and terror, I bow to thee! O slayer of the Asura Kaiṭabha (Kaiṭabhanāśini), I bow to thee! O golden-hued one (Hiraṇyāści), shining with divine effulgence, I bow to thee! O thou with diverse eyes (Virūpākṣi), seeing in all directions, I bow to thee! O thou with smoke-colored eyes (Sudhūmrākṣi), filled with wrath against evil, I bow to thee!"

sanjaya uvāca
tataḥ pārthasya vijñāya bhaktiṃ mānavavatsalā
antarikṣagatovāca govindasyāgrataḥ sthitā ..17

Sañjaya said:

"Then, understanding Pārtha’s devotion, the goddess, who is ever kind to mankind (Mānavavatsalā), appeared in the sky and, standing in front of Govinda, spoke these words."

devyuvāca
svalpenaiva tu kālena śatrūñjeṣyasi pāṇḍava
narastvamasi durdharṣa nārāyaṇasahāyavān ..18

The goddess said:
"O Pāṇḍava, within a short time (Svalpenaiva tu kālena), you shall conquer your foes (Śatrūñjeṣyasi)! You are invincible in battle (Durdharṣa), for you have Nārāyaṇa as your ally (Nārāyaṇasahāyavān)!"

ajeyastvaṃ raṇe'rīṇāmapi vajrabhṛtaḥ svayam
ityevamuktvā varadā kṣaṇenāntaradhīyata ..19

"Even the wielder of the thunderbolt (Vajrabhṛtaḥ), Indra himself, cannot defeat you in battle (Ajeyastvaṃ raṇe)! Having said this (Ityevamuktvā), the boon-giving goddess (Varadā) disappeared in an instant (Kṣaṇenāntaradhīyata)."

sañjaya uvāca

labdhvā varaṃ tu kaunteyo mene vijayamātmanaḥ
āruroha tataḥ pārtho rathaṃ paramasaṃmatam ..20

Sañjaya said:
"Having obtained the boon (labdhvā varaṃ) from the goddess, the son of Kunti (Kaunteya) was convinced of his victory (mene vijayamātmanaḥ). Then, Pārtha ascended his excellent chariot (āruroha rathaṃ paramasaṃmatam), which was admired by all."

kṛṣṇārjunāvekarathau divyau śaṅkhauḥ pradadhmatuḥ
ya idaṃ paṭhate stotraṃ kalya utthāya mānavaḥ ..21

"Seated together in the same chariot (ekarathau), Kṛṣṇa and Arjuna blew their celestial conches (divyau śaṅkhauḥ pradadhmatuḥ), ready for battle. Whoever recites this hymn (stotraṃ) early in the morning (kalya utthāya) will attain great blessings, O king."

yakṣarakṣaḥpiśācebhyo na bhayaṃ vidyate sadā
na cāpi ripavastebhyaḥ sarpādyā ye ca daṃṣṭriṇaḥ ..22

"He shall have no fear (na bhayaṃ vidyate) from Yakṣas, Rākṣasas, or Piśācas at any time (sadā). Nor shall he fear enemies (na ca ripavastebhyaḥ), serpents, or other venomous creatures (sarpādyā ye ca daṃṣṭriṇaḥ)."

na bhayaṃ vidyate tasya sadā rājakulādapi
vivādeka jayamāpnoti baddho mucyati bandhanāt ..23

"He shall never fear harm (na bhayaṃ vidyate tasya) even from royal courts (rājakulādapi). In disputes (vivāde), he shall always be victorious (jayamāpnoti). If imprisoned (baddhaḥ), he shall be freed from bondage (mucyati bandhanāt)."

durgaṃ tarati cāvaśyaṃ tathā corairvimucyate
saṃgrāme vijayennityaṃ lakṣmīṃ prāpnoti kevalām ..24

"He shall certainly overcome all dangers (durgaṃ tarati cāvaśyaṃ) and be protected from thieves (tathā corairvimucyate). He shall always be victorious in battle (saṃgrāme vijayennityaṃ) and shall attain prosperity (lakṣmīṃ prāpnoti kevalām)."

ārogyabalasaṃpanno jīvedvarṣaśataṃ tathā
etaddṛṣṭaṃ prasādāttu mayā vyāsasya dhīmataḥ ..25

"He shall be blessed with health and strength (ārogyabalasaṃpanno) and shall live for a hundred years (jīved varṣaśataṃ tathā). I have witnessed (etaddṛṣṭaṃ) these results through the grace of the wise Vyāsa (prasādāttu mayā vyāsasya dhīmataḥ)."

yatra dharmo dyutiḥ kāntiryatra hrīḥ śrīstathā matiḥ
yato dharmastataḥ kṛṣṇo yataḥ kṛṣṇastato jayaḥ ..28

"Where there is Dharma (yatra dharmaḥ), there is radiance, beauty, modesty, prosperity, and wisdom (dyutiḥ kāntir hrīḥ śrīḥ tathā matiḥ). Where there is Dharma, there is Kṛṣṇa (yato dharmastataḥ kṛṣṇaḥ), and where there is Kṛṣṇa, there is victory (yataḥ kṛṣṇastato jayaḥ)."

Epilogue

The Durgā Stuti plays a crucial role in setting the stage for the Bhagavad Gītā. Arjuna, even as the mightiest warrior and a disciple of Śrī Kṛṣṇa, first seeks the blessings of Durgā Devī, recognizing that divine grace is essential before embarking on both brahmavidyā (spiritual wisdom) and kṣātra-dharma (warrior’s duty).

Without the Goddess’s blessings, neither the profound teaching of yoga nor the ability to uphold one's svadharma can manifest. This demonstrates that divine intervention is not merely a formality but a necessity in both spiritual and worldly endeavors.

Prior to the first śloka of the Gītā in Chapter 25 (in KMG translation), there is a short Chapter 24, which is given below:

Chapter 24 of Bhishma Parva

Dhṛtarāṣṭra: "Sañjaya, tell me—on the battlefield of Kurukṣetra, who among the warriors stepped forward first, eager for battle? Whose hearts were strong with confidence, and who stood hesitant, weighed down by melancholy? In this war, which strikes fear into the hearts of even the bravest, who struck the first blow—my sons or the Pāṇḍavas? Tell me all, Sañjaya.

"And what of the atmosphere among the troops? Whose garlands and perfumes spread their fragrance more? Who among the warriors, though roaring fiercely, still spoke words of mercy?"

Sañjaya: "O King, both armies stood with equal fervor, their warriors filled with courage, their garlands and perfumes scenting the air alike. There was no distinction between them in spirit or readiness.

"But when the moment came, the clash was terrible! As the tightly arrayed ranks surged forward, a fierce collision shook the battlefield. The sound of war instruments—conches, drums, and trumpets—mingled with the battle cries of warriors, creating a deafening uproar. The heroes on both sides locked eyes, filled with unyielding determination, as they rushed toward each other. The elephants, caught in the frenzy, trumpeted loudly, their grunts adding to the chaos.

"O King, the battle had begun, and it was dreadful to behold!"

 

Following this, the Bhagavad Gītā unfolds, beginning with Dhṛtarāṣṭra's inquiry and Sañjaya's narration—marking the moment when the great discourse is about to be revealed……

dharmakṣetre kurukṣetre samavetā yuyutsavaḥ .

māmakāḥ pāṇḍavāścaiva kimakurvata sañjaya  .. 1st śloka of Gita proper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chanting before starting our Bhāgavata sessions

Thursday Slokas (Focus on Sri Dakshinamurti and Sri Bhagavathpaada)

Who is Śrī Lalitā Devī? An Contemplative Introduction to Śrī Lalitā Sahasranāma